Have you guys ever had the problem of deciding between a cookie and a cake? Well, why not have both? Whoopie pies are like a cake-cookie-sandwich. It’s made with cake batter, but in a form of a sandwich that’s easy to hold and eat. There are no forks, knives, or plates needed. Just pick up with your hands and chomp away!
These cake mix whoopie pies are fun to work with because you can easily change of the flavors, frosting, and decorations. You can make them themed for a sports game by simply adding some food coloring to the frosting to change the color. You can add the sprinkles on top of the whoopie pie prior to baking if you want the decorations on top of the pie instead of the side. You can try different cake mixes and even do dual combination whoopie pies, like half red velvet and half funfetti!
- 1 box of Pillsbury™ Purely Simple® Chocolate Cake & Cupcake Mix
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup of water
- ½ cup of vegetable oil
- 1 package Pillsbury™ Purely Simple® Buttercream Frosting Mix (plus the ingredients on the package needed to make it)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line your baking sheets with silicone mats.
- In a large bowl, beat together the cake mix, eggs, water, and vegetable oil for three minutes.
- Use a small cookie scoop to drop batter onto the baking sheets. Leave at least an inch in between each scoop.
- Bake for 9 minutes. Let cool.
- Make the buttercream frosting mix as directed on the package.
- Turn a chocolate cake piece over, evenly spread the frosting on the bottom, and then put another cake piece on top (flat side down so both flat sides should be touching the frosting).
- Roll the sides in sprinkles, if desired. That's it!