Sip something fun this summer and relax with Portugal’s Casal Garcia wines. Fun enough for a gathering and versatile enough to pair with easy patio meals.
Although it can be served on a regular crust, this summery shrimp scampi pizza takes all the ingredients of scampi dish and serves it on a delicious cauliflower crust.
The famous “Shrimp Scampi” ingredients are made in pizza form and so healthful with a cauliflower crust. So fresh and full of flavor!
Around our house we eat pizza at least once a week. Life is short and we love our pizza and we intend to eat it. Often.
I got a little inspiration from my favorite pasta dish, and decided to translate it into Shrimp Scampi Pizza. I mean, really, who doesn’t love that buttery, flavorful pasta dish and everyone adores pizza. Such a natural adaptation… I think I should put shrimp on my pizza more often.
When you go to make this summery meal, if you’d rather keep things super easy, feel free to use store-bought pizza crust or make a regular pizza crust with flour. Just don’t compromise on wine! The fresh, youthful and sweet, but not too sweet Casal Garcia White Vinho Verde pairs perfectly with this light pizza.
I love the hints of citrus and the fruity aroma that define this delicate wine… an absolute perfect pairing with pizza and a relaxing summer evening on the patio.
Celebrate summer with a refreshing poke bowl video recipe that pairs perfectly with Casal Garcia’s crisp wines.
- 1 medium head cauliflower (about 1 pound), trimmed and broken into small florets*
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten**
- ½ cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup shredded parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- 1 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ cup white wine (I used Casal Garcia)
- 1 lemon zest and juice
- 1 pound fresh shrimp (16 count), rinsed, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Preheat your oven to 450 degrees F and place a pizza stone inside (if using). My pizza stone is small, so I just used a regular pizza pan.
- If you're not using pre-riced cauliflower, put cauliflower florets in a food processor and pulse until very fine crumbs remain. Alternatively, you can grate the cauliflower using a cheese grater.
- Place cauliflower in a microwave-safe bowl, cover it with a paper towel and microwave for 5 minutes. Remove the cauliflower and let it cool. You can place it in the freezer for a couple of minutes to speed up the process.
- Once cool, wrap the cauliflower in a dishtowel and squeeze until it is completely dry. It is very important to get all of the moisture out.
- Place the cauliflower in a large (dry) mixing bowl. Mix in the cheeses, seasonings and eggs. If you're using a 16 ounce bag of pre-riced cauliflower (like me), you may need to add about ¼ cup egg whites, another egg, milk or water. I added ¼ cup egg whites because the cauliflower crust mixture seemed too dry.
- Transfer cauliflower crust mixture to a large piece of parchment paper (no larger than your pizza stone) and press the dough into a circle, making sure the crust is thin and of about ¼ inch thickness. Gently pick up the parchment paper and slide it with entire crust on top on to pizza stone or pizza baking pan. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, or until golden.
- While pizza is cooking, begin preparing shrimp and other toppings. In a large skillet, melt butter and oil over medium-low heat.
- Add the garlic and lemon zest, cook for one minute.
- Add the wine and lemon juice, simmer for 2 minutes.
- Add shrimp and cook only until pink. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Once the crust is golden, remove it from the oven and brush dough with garlic-lemon sauce from pan. Be generous, but you don't want wet puddles on your pizza.
- Top with shrimp, mozzarella cheese, Parmesan cheese and sprinkle with Italian seasoning.
- Place pizza back in the oven and bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until the cheese is golden and bubbly. Wonderful served immediately, but also quite delicious leftover and cold!
**Because I used pre-riced cauliflower there was no excess water, so I added about ¼ cup egg whites from a carton. You could also add another egg, milk or water (although I have not tried this).