Grilled tequila and lime chicken is only made better and more flavorful with the addition of a juicy mango salsa.
This grilled chicken recipe is so versatile. I love making dinners where I can turn the leftovers into something different the next night so you don’t feel like you’re eating the exact same thing. The first night I made it we ate it as is, low-carb style. My husband though, being the king of carbs would have preferred his in taco form, which is how I served the leftovers the next night. You could also make cilantro lime rice to go with it or throw it on top of greens for a great salad.
The marinade for the chicken is simple, but flavorful. A combination of fresh lime juice, tequila, olive oil, cumin, garlic and hot sauce give the chicken a citrusy flavor reminiscent of that margarita you’ll be drinking alongside this dinner. Because there’s a lot of acid in the marinade you don’t need to marinate it for more than an hour or it may change the texture of the chicken.
What sets this tequila lime chicken apart from the other hundred recipes you can find for it, is the grilled pineapple mango salsa served on top. This salsa exceeded my expectations as far as flavor goes. Grilling fruit makes it sweeter and it’s flavor more intense which in return yields a more flavorful salsa. This was my first time grilling mangos and it definitely won’t be the last. I couldn’t believe how sweet and caramelized their flavor became after spending a few minutes on the grill. Along with the grilled fruit there is also red onion, cilantro, chili powder, lime juice and a jalapeño for some spice. Do yourself a favor and kick up your grilled chicken game this week by making Tequila Lime Chicken with Grilled Pineapple Mango Salsa!
Tequila Lime Chicken
- 1 pound chicken breasts pounded into equal thickness
- 1 lime zested and juiced
- 3 tablespoons tequila
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste I used approx. 3/4 t. salt
- Several dashes of hot sauce
Grilled Pineapple Mango Salsa
- 1 ripe mango flesh cut from the pit in large flat slices
- 1 small fresh pineapple peeled, cored and sliced into rings or wedges
- 1/4 cup diced red onion
- Juice of 1/2 a lime
- 1 jalapeño seeded and minced
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- Kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- Combine all of the ingredients for the tequila lime chicken marinade in a measuring glass and whisk together.
- Place the chicken breasts in a gallon size freezer bag and pour the marinade over them.
- Press the air out of the bag, seal it and massage the marinade into the chicken.
- Let the chicken marinate for at least 30 minutes or up to an hour.
- Preheat your grill to medium-high heat and brush or spray the grates with oil.
- Place the chicken on the grill at the same time you grill the pineapple and mango.
- Grill the chicken for approximately 4-8 minutes depending on the thickness, then flip over and grill for another 4-8 minutes or until cooked all the way through.
Grilled Pineapple Mango Salsa
- Preheat grill to medium-high heat and brush or spray the grates with oil.
- Brush the slices of pineapple and mango with oil to prevent them from sticking to the grill grates.
- When the grill is ready place the sliced pineapple and mango on the grates (flesh side down for the mango).
- Grill the pineapple for approximate 3-5 minutes per side depending on the thickness of the slices or until nice grill marks form.
- Grill the mango for approximately 3 minutes total or until nice grill marks form.
- Remove the fruit from the grill and let it cool until it can be handled.
- Cut the mango into slices then remove the skin and cut the flesh into small chunks.
- Cut the pineapple into small chunks.
- Place all of the ingredients for the salsa into a serving bowl and toss together.
- Serve on top or alongside the chicken.
Hi, I'm Danae, the blogger, photographer, and recipe developer of Recipe Runner. Recipe Runner is all about my love of food, cooking, baking, and running. I hope that I can tempt you with my recipes and inspire you with my running stories! Enjoy!