A refreshing appetizer worthy of a much needed happy hour. Refreshing avocado boats are filled with shrimp and a spicy remoulade.
By Kristin Guy
About this time last year I found myself unexpectedly in New Orleans. I’d never been, in fact it was never on the top of my to-do list, and yet suddenly I had an entire week to live like a local right off the French Quarter. Charmed doesn’t begin to describe how I feel about that city. It’s enchanting, mysterious and full of unexpected surprises…it is intoxicating, even if you choose not to walk around cross eyed with a 5 foot frozen hurricane.
Where there are too many highlights to list – a favorite moment, and one that I would repeat twice on my visit, was escaping the thick humid air and sitting at the bar of the Napoleon House over a cold Pimms Cup…and a crisp shrimp Remoulade salad.
It’s impossible to try and replicate that experience back home, so I was inspired to re-create the experience with a playful Los Angeles twist… infusing bold Korean flavors with some french ideas… and you best believe there’s kimchi involved.
The Negroni cocktail has exploded over this past year becoming an eye-roll worthy trendy drink. I’ve been enjoying this cocktail for years and you can’t turn me away from it’s bitter bite. A favorite variation is the “White Negroni”, which swaps out Campari with a French bitter aperitif, Suze. It’s a surprisingly refreshing update and perfectly paired to cut down on the heat of the Remoulade Cups. Get perfectly matching recipe here.
- 4 Large avocados
- ¼ cup shredded radicchio
- ½ cup cooked bay shrimps
- ¼ cup flat parsley
- 6 tablespoons pickled mustard seeds
- 3 Tablespoons dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon Gochujiang Hot Pepper Paste (or sambal oelek)
- 3 Tablespoons mayonnaise (or veganaise)
- ⅓ cup kimchi cucumbers, diced
- Combine all ingredients and set aside
- Sauce can be prepared in advance.
- To quick pickle mustard seeds, cover seeds in rice vinegar for at least 20 minutes and then drain. Cut avocado in a ⅓ split to create a deep shell cup. Mix diced avocado, shrimp, radicchio and parsley in a bowl and toss in remoulade sauce.
- Stuff mixture into avocado shell and top with additional parsley.