Sometimes an affordable bottle of Champagne is appropriate, other times it isn’t. Here’s when we like to splurge and a favorite bottle that fits the bill.
When to go for a cheaper sparkling wine:
- When there will be plenty of other beverages flowing (Example: New Year’s Eve)
- If the bubbles are being mixed (Example: You’re making brunch mimosas)
- The person it is for is not much of a wine drinker, but you want to celebrate with bubbles anyway. Go for a Prosecco or Cava instead.
When to splurge on Champagne:
- It is a truly special occasion or a once-in-a-lifetime event
- You want to impress someone or let them know how special they are or a moment is
- When the Champagne is going to be the star of the even or the perfect pairing to an elegant meal
- When you’re giving a gift
Ready to splurge and sip bubbles? Here are two favorites we recently tried and they are both less than $100.
Henriot Blanc de Blancs $60
A beautiful expression of Chardonnay grapes, this sparkler is a great palate cleanser with refreshing bubbles and complex notes of vanilla and warm spice. Enjoy this bottle on its own or with oysters on the half shell, rich foie gras bites, or goat cheese dishes.
Henriot Brut Souverain $45
The Brut Souverain is primarily sourced from Premier and Grand Crus vineyards. Its elegant structure is balanced with refreshing citrus and floral notes. Try this wine with smoked salmon appetizers or fresh fruit desserts.