Puran poli is a traditional Marathi and Gujarati sweet dish served during major festivals in India.
By Anamika Sharma
- All Purpose Flour – 1 cup
- Wheat Flour – 1 cup
- Salt – ¼ teaspoon or as per taste
- Ghee – 2 tablespoons
- Bengal gram lentils (Chana Dal) – ¾ cup
- Jaggery (Gur) – ⅓ cup
- Cardamom powder – ½ teaspoon
- Ghee – ½ cup (you can use butter too as an option)
- First we will prepare the dough, mix wheat flour and all-purpose flour in a big bowl, add salt and ghee and knead well with little luke warm water to prepare a soft dough like we prepare for making chapatis.When the dough is ready keep it aside for 15 minutes covered, this process will let the dough to rise a little.
- Time to prepare the Puran mixture now, we have soaked the chana dal for 4 hours already. Take the soaked chana dal, pressure cook it with little water, just about enough to cover the dal in the cooker, after one whistle switch off the flame and let the dal sit in stream for another 5 – 7 minutes, keep it in a bowl to cool a little and then grind the dal in a mixer to a thick paste.
- Heat ghee in a kadai, when ghee melts add jaggery to it and keep stirring on medium flame till it melts. Now add the thick chana dal paste to it and stir continuously, the melted jaggery will be nicely absorbed and cooked with the chana dal in about 7 – 9 minutes. Sprinkle cardamom powder to it and switch off the flame and allow the mixture to cool.
- When the mixture cools, make lemon size balls from it similarly prepare balls from the dough also. With the help of a rolling-pin prepare small circle from the dough and place puran mixture on it and gently close it with the help of your hand to make one stuffed ball.
- Take a rolling-pin, gently roll the ball prepared with stuffing by dusting the flour on both the sides. Once it’s rolled , heat the tawa and place the puran poli onto it for cooking, gently keep checking from both the side by spreading little ghee on both sides of the puran poli.
- It should be cooked crisp from both sides. When its cooked from both sides nice and crisp then your puran poli is ready to be served, don’t forget to add dollops of ghee onto it before serving.