Rice sautéed with Indian spices and mushrooms makes for a filling vegetarian dinner.
By Anita Mokashi
- 2 cups of rice
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 tomato chopped
- ½ cup peas
- 7-8 mushrooms roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp red chilli powder
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Salt as per taste
- Coriander for garnishing
- 5 green chillies
- 1 inch ginger
- 5 garlic pods
- 4 green cardamoms
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 cinnamon
- Rinse rice well and soak it in water for an hour
- Make a paste of the ingredients mentioned below for paste and keep it ready
- Heat oil in a pan and add the onion, fry for a few minutes. Next add the chili paste and stir-fry for about a minute.
- Add the tomato, mushrooms and peas to the pan and cook for another few minutes. Now add the rice and stir and fry for another few minutes. I fried it till all the spices & tomatoes coat the rice & the whole mix kind of starts to dry off.
- Add the water, lemon juice and salt, bring to a boil. When the water disappears from the surface, (you will still see the water in between the rice grains & there will be more water inside, Lower the heat to minimum & cover & cook for about 5 minutes. Switch off the heat after 5 minutes & keep it covered for another 10 minutes.
- Let sit for a few minutes and then mix in the cilantro/coriander
Anita Mokashi is based in California, but born and brought up in Mumbai, India. Her blog Crave Cook Click is mostly about Indian cooking, but occasionally she shares recipes from other cultures and cuisines too. Anita is also the publisher of a popular photography blog.