Now, this recipe is very basic and you can really pimp it up however you want. Add some lemon peel to the mix, change the colour of the chocolate, maybe replace the vanilla with a bit of thyme for a fragrant version or experiment with a little bit of liquorice powder.
By Rikke Oestergaard
As long as you keep the coconut, sugar and egg quantities the same, you can change the flavouring however you please! As long as you promise to come back here and tell me what you tried, and how it worked out.
Author: Rikke Oestergaard
Recipe Type: Baking
- 250 grams of unsweetened coconut
- 250 grams of sugar
- 3 whole eggs
- 1 vanilla pod
- 150 grams of dark chocolate
- Split the vanilla pod, scrape out the seeds and mix them with some of the sugar using the blade of a knife.
- Mix the coconut flour, the sugar, the whole eggs and the vanilla sugar in a bowl. You might have to use your hands.
- Cover the bowl with cling-film, and leave to rest for 15 minutes.
- Wet your hands slighty, and use them to shape the macaroons on a baking tray. Shape them however you want – but make sure you get lots of surface area, for maximum chewiness. You should get around 16 macaroons.
- Bake the macaroons in the middle of the oven for about 20 minutes at 175 degrees celsius. Or until nice and golden.
- Leave to cool completely, before dipping the bottom in melted dark chocolate.
- Again – cool until the chocolate has hardened and enjoy!