Sölden. Ötztal, Sölden.
World famous skiers and gold-medal Olympians know the Austrian Alps of Tyrol for their famous slopes and epic bike tracks during the Summer.
The heart of the Alpine resort, Sölden is Luxury 5-star hotel Das Central which offers not only gastronomical adventures for self-professed foodies but also thrilling hikes and climbs up some of the world’s most renowned mountains. It is one of the best 5star hotels providing everything from gourmet meals, afternoon cakes and of course a Premium pass to take you on all the cable cars in the region, like a VIP guest.
If you are a fan of James Bond, you will surely know Sölden is where 007 came to life in the film, Spectre. Remember when Daniel Craig drove an aeroplane into a barn? Yep – you can relive that very moment at Elements, the Cinematic James Bond museum 3000m high in the Austrian Alps.
Aged in barrels 3000m high on the Austrian Alps makes it a wine worth traveling for.
If you have a sweet tooth – continue eating ( like I did!) and order the Apple Strudel or Poppy Seed Strudel.
To whet your Appetit, here is the recipe for Ice Q’s Poppy Seed Strudel – James Bond would definitely indulge in this one with his Bond Girl after a hefty chase scene.
ice Q poppyseed-currant strudel
- 300 g flour
- 5 g salt
- 19 g sugar
- 34 g butter
- 11 g yeast
- 120 g milk
- 60 g water
- 170 g poppyseed
- 37 g semolina
- 70 g sugar
- 46 g marzipan
- 270 g milk
- 50 g raisins
- 1 g ground cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 1 g orange zest
- 1 g lemon zest
- 1 g ground bourbon vanilla
- 70 g currant jam strained
- 130 g currants
ice Q vanilla sauce
- 370 g milk
- 370 g cream
- 85 g sugar
- 1 1/2 vanilla pods
- 185 g egg yolk
- With the yeast, sugar and half of the milk and some flour, prepare the poolish.
- Knead the flour with melted butter and hot water as well as the remaining milk to make a yeast dough.
- Let the dough rise for some 45 minutes at room temperature while covered
- Bring 2/3 of the milk with sugar, cinnamon and salt to the boil. Stir in the poppyseed and boil until the milk is absorbed.
- Bring the rest of the milk to the boil, stir in the semolina and also boil until the semolina comes off the dishware
- Mix together the poppyseed, semolina and marzipan
- Add rum-soaked raisins, lemon and orange zest and chill.
- Combine the currant jam with the currants.
- Halve the dough and roll it to about 1 cm thickness
- Coat entirely with the poppyseed filling
- Spread the currant filling on top and roll up
- Put the plait into a baking dish (rectangular terrine dish) and coat with egg yolk
- Let rise at room temperature for 20 min.
- Set the oven to 150 °C and put the strudel into the COLD oven
- Baking time 30 min.
ice Q vanilla sauce
- Heat the milk, cream, sugar and the split vanilla pod to approx. 90° C
- Mix together the egg yolk and remaining sugar
- Combine the hot milk/cream mixture with the egg yolk/sugar mixture and slowly heat to 83°C while constantly stirring
- Chill immediately, stir often
Michelle Tchea is a 4-time bestselling author. Her books include, Building a Perfect Meal, My Little SoHo Kitchen, Signature Dishes (Australia's Best) and Chefs Collective. Her work can be found in other leading luxury travel and food magazines including Travel+Leisure Asia, SMILE, NUVO Magazine and The Telegraph