PARTNER POST — TrySwedish Thursdays is a culinary collaboration between TrySwedish, West Sweden, Gothenburg and Sweden’s most famous and loved cheese Västerbottensost®. Discover the edible delights of the land.
Celebrate Sweden’s Herring Day with a simple, but beautiful appetizer topped with smooth Västerbottensost cream and lemon zest.
Herring is such a huge part of the Swedish diet and industry that there is even a national day to celebrate the fish on June 6th. Learn more about the festivities and dishes that are part of the celebration here.
No matter where you are, take part in the day by making this simple, authentic appetizer. Using the unique pickled fish and Swedish cheese Västerbottensost, this appetizer is easy to serve to the masses. A cold dish that can prepared ahead and served on a flatbread cracker, make this bite for your next backyard gathering. Our favorite part might just be the rich Västerbottensost cream that is hit with a bright touch of lemon zest as it sits atop the tangy fish. Try it for yourself!
- 200 g (7 ounces) Crème fraîche
- 1 bunch of summery herbs
- 80 g (2.8 ounces) Västerbotten cheese
- 200 g (7 ounces) pickled herring fillets, drained weight
- 1 lemon, peel and juice
- Choose a really nice flatbread, preferably seasoned.
- Drain 200 g (7 ounces) of pickled herring fillets. Cut into smaller pieces and place on the bread.
- Mix 200 g (7 ounces) of crème fraîche with summery herbs of your choice and grate 80 g (2.8 ounces) of Västerbotten cheese. Place a dollop of the mixture on top of the herring.
- Top with a handful of summery herbs and finely grate lemon peel.
Lindsey Olsson Shamshoian
A.V. OLSSON TRADING CO., INC.
VICE PRESIDENT, BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT
T: +1 203-969-2090 | M: +1 203-253-3738