Inspired by Italian desserts, this simple cake is soft and filled with bright lemon flavor.
This simple cake with bright lemony flavor is my new favorite. I love Italian desserts and recently made a delicious Italian Love Cake for my girlfriends. Unfortunately, I couldn’t take any pics since I was in a hurry, but I promise to share the recipe with you very soon. But this cake is something else. An easy dessert that’s so simple and perfectly satisfying and if you love lemon desserts like me, you’ll fall in love with this!
I bought two tubs of ricotta for my Italian Love Cake and used just one. I scoured the web for ricotta recipes and stumbled upon this one. It sounded pretty simple and lemon and ricotta seemed like just the perfect combination. I had all the ingredients and couldn’t wait to try this! It did not disappoint at all and the flavors are right up my alley.
The cake is wonderfully moist from the ricotta and is light and airy.I doubled the recipe and it turned out amazing! did not use the apples as mentioned in the recipe and just went with lemon and ricotta. You could dress it up with some berries if you prefer or just keep it simple like I’ve done here. The hubs and the kids went for seconds and needless to say it disappeared in no time!This is one elegant looking cake and I can’t wait to make this for my friends. This is a keeper. Enjoy!
- 6 tbsp unsalted butter (softened)
- 11 tbsp granulated sugar
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- ⅔ cup ricotta
- zest of one lemon
- powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
- Grease an 8 inch round pan with butter.
- In a large bowl using a spatula or hand held mixer mix the softened butter and sugar until creamy.
- Add eggs and combine well.
- Add the flour,baking powder and salt.Mix well.
- Add the ricotta and lemon zest.
- Mix until nicely incorporated and no lumps are left.
- Pour into the pan and bake for about 25 minutes or until you see the edges turning golden and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.Let it cool for a bit before transferring it onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Dust with powdered sugar and serve!