Whip up a batch of Vegan Breakfast Tacos stuffed with a flavorful tofu scramble, “bacon-y” crispy chickpeas, and roasted tomatoes in just 30 minutes.
I’ve officially turned into the sunlight-starved, thesis-writing master’s student who forgets what a “normal” schedule looks like. With just two weeks to write up the results gathered after months of geekfully collecting data, I welcome any excuse to write about something other than science. And so here we are, y’all. Tacos.
But these aren’t just any tacos. These are Vegan Breakfast Tacos. “Vegan? How can that be?”, you might ask, staring questioningly at the pile of scrambled yellow stuff in the photo. To which I respond…NUTRITIONAL YEAST. That’s right guys, it’s nutritional yeast week and it’s basically revolutionizing the vegan kitchen.
So back to your question about that yellow scrambled stuff…tofu! We’re throwing together nutritional yeast, tofu, and turmeric to make a “cheesey”, creamy, ultra-addictive filling to these Vegan Breakfast Tacos.
But why stop there? Let’s pull out all the stops and throw on some “bacony” smoky chickpeas, roasted cherry tomatoes, sliced avocado, radishes, and cilantro. That, friends is how we do vegan breakfast.
Click here for the crispy chickpeas recipe.Print
Scrambled Tofu Vegan Breakfast Tacos
- Author: Sarah Bond
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 6 tacos 1x
- Category: Breakfast
- Click the link above for the recipe.
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes halved (150 g)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil 15 mL
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 12.3 oz package firm silken tofu 350 g
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast 20 g
- 2 Tbsp plain hummus 30 g
- 1/4 tsp turmeric
- Pinch salt and pepper
- 6 medium flour or corn tortillas
- Garnish with avocado (parsley, lime juice, dairy-free yogurt, sliced radishes)
- Roast: Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (204 C). Pat dry chickpeas with paper towels then mix with the rest of the “Bacon” Chickpea ingredients. Spread onto half of a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Toss together Roasted Tomato ingredients and spread onto the other half. Bake for 20 minutes, or until chickpeas are crispy and tomatoes have burst.
- Scrambled Tofu: Meanwhile, add all Tofu ingredients to a large greased or non-stick skillet and roughly break up tofu with a spatula. Set over medium heat and cook until tofu begins to brown slightly, stirring often,
- Assemble: Spoon scrambled tofu, chickpeas, and tomatoes evenly onto tortillas. Garnish with your favorites (see above for mine!)
Scrambled tofu inspired by Minimalist Baker!
An Alaskan self-taught cook and nutritionist by trade, I love all things food and health. When I'm not exploring new ways to cook up healthy ingredients, I'm romping around the Netherlands, my new stomping grounds!