Sometimes you just look in the pantry and make something up as you go along. That’s what Jerri Green did with this recipe.
By Jerri Green
I have some tried and true recipes that I have memorized by heart. I have others I am dying to try from my newest cookbooks. But on some nights, I just look in the pantry and make it up as I go. That’s exactly what I did with this rice and beans dish.
- 2 cups of organic brown rice
- 1 can of chili beans in sauce
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- ¼ large yellow onion, diced
- 1 tblsp of olive oil
- salt & pepper
- 1 package of Italian sausage
- 1 package of soy sausage
- Cook brown rice in rice cooker. Heat oil in large deep skillet. Add in onion and peppers. Cook til tender. Add in beans with sauce. In the meantime, cook the real and fake sausages in the own skillets. Once the rice is done add it to the mixture with the beans and veggies. Stir until well combined. Add salt and pepper as needed. Serve in large bowls and top with slices of sausage.
Jerri Green is a vegetarian that lives with and loves a self-proclaimed carnivore. She makes meals work for everyone while juggling the mounting demands of motherhood. Nothing fancy but always fresh, she draws on her southern heritage to bring satisfying food to the table each and everyday.