An Arborio or Carnaroli rice would work just as fine as the Vialone Nano risotto rice used in this recipe.
By Kathy Bechtel
- 4 cups whole milk
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise, seeds scraped out and reserved
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¾ cup Arborio rice
- 3 tablespoons toasted almonds, finely chopped
- 8 large strawberries, 4 finely chopped, 4 sliced
- In a medium saucepan, combine milk, sugar, vanilla bean and seeds, and salt; bring to a boil. Add rice, reduce to a gentle simmer and cook, stirring frequently, until rice is tender and pudding is creamy, about 45 minutes.
- Stir in 2 tablespoons of the finely chopped almonds and the finely chopped strawberries. Serve the rice pudding warm or at room temperature, topped with the remaining strawberries slices and chopped almonds.
Kathy Bechtel’s obsession with food and cooking began as a teenager. After years following a traditional career path as a telecommunications engineer, she left to attend culinary school and wine training, and is now combining her passions for food and wine, the outdoors, and travel as owner and Culinary Tour Director of Italiaoutdoors. In this role, Kathy leads small bicycle, skiing and walking tours that explore the authentic regional cuisines, local products and undiscovered wines of Northeastern Italy.