Easy, fast and perfect for Summer eating, this is another great make-ahead dish, and who doesn’t want to take some of the pressure off cooking at this time of year.
By Kathy Gori
I served this corn as one of the dishes at an all vegan tasting menu at our house a couple of weeks ago. It works just as well with any backyard barbecue menu and is a great alternative to the usual grilled corn.
- 6 fresh ears of corn
- 1 and ½ Tbs coconut oil
- ½ tsp cumin seeds
- ⅛ tsp turmeric powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp sugar
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- ⅛ tsp cayenne
- ½ tsp lemon juice
- ½ cup fresh grated coconut or dried grated unsweetened (fresh is best if you can get it)
- Shuck and wash the ears of corn.
- Scrape the kernels off the cobs.
- Take ½ of the kernels and grind them up in a blender. Do Not add any water.
- Grind them up until they form a smooth batter.
- Mix the ground corn in with the rest of the whole kernels.
- In a skillet or kadhai heat the coconut oil.
- When the oil is hot, add in the cumin seeds.
- When the cumin seeds start to sizzle and turn color, add in the corn mixture and the turmeric.
- Mix it together well.
- Cover the pan, turn down the heat and cook the mixture for about 10 minutes or so. Stir it every now and them so nothing sticks.
- After 10 minutes, take off the cover and add in the sugar, salt, ground cumin, cayenne and lemon juice.
- Give everything a good stir, cover the pan again and cook for another 4 minutes or so.
- Take the lid off, add in the coconut, give it a good stir and you're done. Serve this at room temperature.