You really can’t beat a blend of salty, buttery nuts with sweet, syrupy preserved fruit.
By Kara and Marni Powers
On a stroll through the Flatiron District while catching up with our friend, Taryn, she suggested making a pit stop at Birch Coffee to checkout a cute barrista and the rich roasted coffee. While chatting at the counter, our eyes caught sight of a delectable treat, a peanut butter and jelly brown rice crispy bar and we knew we had to sample one. We pulled and nibbled at the delectable square while walking over to Chelsea Market and were already thinking of ways to recreate the bar on our own.
- ½ stick unsalted butter
- 10 oz marshmallows
- 1 c peanut butter
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 6 c brown puffed rice cereal
- ½ c raspberry preserves (We love Bonne Maman’s)
- 1 t Didi Davis’ Vanilla Salt (or your favorite finishing/sea salt)
- In a deep saucepan over medium heat, add the butter. Once melted stir in the marshmallows and stir with a wooden spoon until melted. Add the peanut butter and vanilla, remove from heat, and stir to combine. Stir in the puffed brown rice cereal and make sure all pieces are evenly coated.
- Spoon half of the mixture into a greased 9×9-inch pan and press down with parchment to create an even, flat base. Pour the jam on top and spread an even layer across. Spoon the other half of the peanut butter and crispy rice mixture on top of the jam and push down with the parchment until evenly flat. Place in the refrigerator to cool completely, about 35 minutes. Cut into pieces and serve. Makes 18-20 bars, depending on how large you would like them.