Need dinner on the table, quickly? This Quick and Easy Bolognese recipe is right up your alley. Get dinner on the table sooner, rather than later.
This Quick and Easy Bolognese is a great way to quickly get dinner on the table. This sauce is inspired my father’s spaghetti sauce. Growing up in the South, the only pasta I ever had was spaghetti with meat sauce. After moving up North I was introduced to so many wonderful Italian dishes, and none of them really tasted like the “spaghetti” that I grew up eating.
My kids request that my dad make this for them when they visit North Carolina. They call it, “Big Daddy Spaghetti”. Yes, they call my father Big Daddy…
My favorite thing about this sauce is that it is quick and easy. If you are really in a hurry, (or just lazy that night), you could sub in a jar of your favorite marinara for the tomato sauce, red wine, salt, pepper, dried basil, and dried oregano.
- 1⅓ lbs ground beef
- 1 large sweet onion chopped
- 1 8 oz container sliced mushrooms (3 cups)
- 5 cloves minced garlic (2 Tbs)
- 2 -15 oz cans tomato sauce
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp black ground pepper
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 1 tps dried oregano
- ½ cup red wine
- ¼ cup fresh basil, torn or roughly chopped
- Brown the ground beef over medium heat in Dutch oven or a wide skillet with tall sides.
- Before the beef is finished browning, add the onion and sauté until it turns translucent and begins to soften, about 3 minutes.
- Add the mushrooms, and sauté until they lose most of their moisture and soften.
- Add garlic, and sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Add: tomato sauce, red wine, salt, pepper, dried basil, and dried oregano. Stir to combine.
- In simmer uncovered for 20 minutes, stirring often. Turn off the burner, stir in the fresh basil, and serve.