Check out this creamy spinach, ricotta and walnut pasta (without the cream). Make yourself this healthy and tasty low dish in less than 15 minutes!
This is definitely one of my favorite pasta dishes and it’s quite versatile too. You can use any kind of pasta you like – I normally use penne or spaghetti. Use mozarella instead of ricotta (also low FODMAP and both alternatives are lower in fat than cream); pine nuts instead of walnuts (they are low FODMAP too but a bit more expensive) and you could even try swiss chard, similar to spinach in flavor and texture; it will certainly bring diversity to your plate. And if you’re curious to try this hearty green, take a look at this recipe.
But let’s get back to our creamy pasta without the cream. There is no big secret behind it, except using one big skillet to sautee the spinach and well mix all the ingredient/ flavors before serving. Believe it or not, with this little trick, you’ll have a delicious and creamy pasta dish in less than 15 minutes! And did I mention it is quite healthy too?
- 7 oz./ 200 gr. gluten-free penne (or any other GF pasta of your choice)
- 2 cups/ 75 gr. spinach, washed and drained
- 3 tbsp garlic infused oil (or olive oil+a garlic clove)
- 4 tbsp/ 80 gr. ricotta cheese
- Black pepper
- 10/ 60 gr. walnuts, roughly chopped
- Cook the pasta according to package instruction, drain and set aside.
- If you don’t have garlic infused oil, heat the olive oil with the garlic clove in a big skillet over medium–high heat. Remove the garlic clove, add the spinach and sauté for 5 minutes or until spinach has wilted.
- Add in the cooked pasta and ricotta and quickly give everything a big stir (to avoid overcooking the pasta). Season generously with salt and pepper. Toss well and serve with walnuts on top.
- Low FODMAP safe servings:
- - 2 tbsp/ 40 gr. ricotta cheese
- - 1 cup/ 38 gr. spinach
- - 5 nuts/ 30 gr. walnuts
- So you can safely eat half of this pasta dish!