Simple food pleasures like this Thai salad with prawns and caramelized coconut dressing is a delicious thing to look forward to and make even after a long day. Think nutty peanuts, rich coconut dressing, crispy cucumbers and bold Thai flavors.
By Josephine Chan
As a working mum, juggling between work and personal is not easy but manageable. So, I’d like to salute to all Super Mums out there who have successfully integrate our mission to provide for a better home for our families. *Clap*Clap*Clap*
I’m always looking for simple weekday pleasures that doesn’t require much attention and time to cook but still makes me salivate. This recipe was created by a contestant in the latest season of Masterchef Australia and just hearing the name gave me jitters-me-timber down my spine. Think Crunchy prawns! Toasted fragrant peanut! Caramelised coconut dressing! Thai flavours! How can you say no to this dish, right?
Feel free to add more ingredients if you wish like cucumber, pomelo (if in season) or green apple. I added the toasted crushed peanuts because I like more crunch to the dish and that nutty fragrant element help to break the sweet sour flavour. If you like more chillies, then add more too!
- 15 large prawns, peeled, deveined & tails left on
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 carrot, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- 1 small papaya, peeled and cut into matchsticks
- Mint leaves, to serve
- Coriander leaves, to serve
- Lime wedges, to serve
- Toasted peanuts, crushed in mortar and pestle
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp water
- 350ml young coconut water
- 2 chillies, finely sliced
- 1 tbsp ginger, finely diced
- Juice from 1 lime, to taste
- Prepare the salad dressing. Place sugar and water in a deep saucepan and cook on high heat until caramelised for about 7 mins. Add coconut water, sliced chilli and diced ginger. Reduce the sauce until it’s syrupy and glazy brown, about 20-30 mins or when the dressing has reduced by half. Remove from heat and add lime juice. Taste and adjust seasoning. Set aside.
- Heat oil in a saute pan over high heat. Add prawns and saute until it’s turned pink and cooked through, about 2 mins. Transfer prawns into a salad bowl with carrot and papaya. Pour dressing over and toss gently to combine.
- Arrange on a serving plate. Garnish with mint, coriander leaves and lime. Sprinkle with as much toasted peanut as you like. Serve.