PARTNER POST – Get inspired with creatively crafted Castello Blue Cheese as we celebrate a Summer of Blue with #BluesdayTuesday.
Take your guacamole dip to the next level with creamy, tangy blue cheese and smoked, salty almonds.
By Erin Rebecca
Who’s excited that it’s football season again? I don’t know if I’m more excited for the games, the tailgates or the snacking. For the opener this year, I served guacamole. But not the predictable, variety. I dressed it up with Castello blue cheese and smoked almonds! Creamy, smoky, salty and tangy – It was a big a hit in our house!
This guac is a bit like a cobb salad, in a dippable variety.
Give me a cold beer, a bag of chips and a bowl of this guacamole. I’m all set for at least a couple of quarters. With a beverage refill or two, of course.
Besides football, I’m also getting more geared up for fall in general. With Castello’s wide range of unique blue cheeses available, I’m pretty sure that this tangy ingredient is going to be popping up in several fall season recipes that I have spinning around in my brain… Mmmmm… Gnocchi with prosciutto, spinach and a blue cheese sauce, for starters. Check out Castello’s website for more information on their delicious cheeses.
- 3 Haas avocados, halved, seeded and peeled
- 1 lime, juiced
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
- ½ medium sweet onion, diced
- ½ jalapeño pepper, seeded and minced
- 2 Roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ cup coarsely chopped smoked almonds
- ¾ oz. Castello blue cheese, crumbled (3 Tbs.)
- Scoop the avocado pulp into a large bowl and add the lime juice, toss to coat. Drain, and reserve the lime juice, after all of the avocados have been coated.
- Using a fork, add the salt, cumin, cayenne, and 1 tablespoon of the reserved lime juice and mash. Then, fold in the onions, jalapeño, tomatoes, cilantro, garlic, and most of the almonds and blue cheese.
- Top with the remaining almonds and crumbled blue cheese just before serving.