Simple and inviting, plum cake is the perfect way to start and celebrate early autumn.
By Tamara Novacoviç
Today we stepped into autumn, with significantly lower temperatures and lots of rain. However, I hope sunnier days are ahead. Early autumn is beautiful, for me melancholic and inspiring, blooming with fiery leaves and warm colors, mystical winds and a transitional weather that will lead us into a cold winter. It is a season of nature-given goods, plums being one of them. Most of the plums here is used to make traditional plum jams. We picked a lot of them this season, so I used some for this lovely, simple cake. Scented with ripe plums, cardamom and cinnamon, it is a perfect companion to a cup of tea or coffee.
- 1 cup (110 g) all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 2 eggs
- ½ cup (100 g) sugar + 3 tbsp
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ cup (160 ml) milk
- lemon zest
- 3 tbsp melted butter
- about 10 fresh plums
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp cardamom
- Mix eggs with sugar until fluffy. Add vanilla, milk, melted butter, lemon zest and spices. In the end, add flour combined with baking powder and salt.
- Preheat oven to 374 F (190 Celsius).
- Butter rectangular baking pan and pour the mixture. Wash plums, cut in half, remove pit. Assemble on top of the cake batter. Sprinkle with the remaining 3 tbsp of sugar.
- Bake the cake for about 30 minutes (test with skewer). Let cool and cut in squares. You can dust it with some powdered sugar before serving.