There are few things that come to mind that bring up the thought “Comfort Foods”, like that of gooey melted cheese.
Text And Photo By Alisha Randell
I have really been in the mood to play around with some of the Classics and what is more classic than toasted or grilled cheese sandwiches. Or fruit and cheese pairings for that matter.
This is an incredibly easy sandwich to put together that is sure to delight your family or guests.
Pear and Gouda Grilled Cheese
For our not so classic grilled cheese we are going to add a fresh cherry balsamic glaze to bring out a fresh burst of Spring.
- Author: Alisha Randell
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Total Time: 1 hour
- Yield: 4 1x
- For the glaze:
- 1/2 cup (118.5 ml) balsamic vinegar
- 1 Tsp (ml) fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup (75 g) fresh cherries, pitted and halved
- For the sandwich:
- 8 slices ciabatta bread
- 16 slices gouda cheese
- 2 oz aged gouda cheese, shaved
- 1–2 fresh firm ripened pears, thinly sliced
- 4 Tbs (120 gr) butter, melted
- Pinch of finishing salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Begin by bringing balsamic , lemon juice and cherries to a boil. Then reduce to a low heat and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until reduced by at least half.
- Slice pears thinly and set aside.
- Once your glaze had reduced allow to cool slightly, then brush one side of bread with glaze, alternating slices.
- Add a pinch of salt and pepper to melted butter. Brush melted butter onto one side of bread and place buttered side down on a grill or frying pan.
- Add one layer of gouda, pear, agged gouda the additional gouda. Making sure that the cheese will melt onto both slices of bread.
- Top with the second slice of bread with the glazed portion facing the cheese. Brush outer side with additional butter.
- Grill on low heat until lightly golden and cheese begins to melt.
This can be served warm or at room temperature and makes for a great appitizer as well as a main dish served along side fresh fruit, soup or salad.
Alisha Randell is a former Executive Chef turned Private Chef and Culinary Instructor. She is the Co-Creator/Author of The Ardent Epicure blog “An Ode to the Pleasures of Food”. Growing up with a dad as a culinary guide, whom was as well an executive chef, food and seeing food as an art form has been a lifelong passion and exploration.
Wonderful article! Isn’t this fun?!
Hi Sarah, thank you and yes it is fun :)
This was sooooo good. You have no idea. The best grilled cheese I have ever had, hands down. All other grilled cheeses should aspire to be half this good.
Thank you, glad you like them :)
A goregous grilled cheese! I love the glaze, great recipe Alisha!
Thank you Bonnie :)
This is such a great stuff :) I think gorgonzola cheese or some other similar cheese would also go well with pears
Oh gorgonzola, yes! Will have to try that too :)
Now this is a gourmet grilled cheese! I love,love, the sweet- tart- creamy flavors in this sandwich. You’re just awesome Alisha :)
Thank you my friend :) You are as well… Kindred Spirits :)
Thanks Alisha that sounds like a great sandwich.
Hi Laura, thanks so much :)
Wonderful take on one of may favorites. I will be using this as a new finger food for parties. Kudos!
Hi Chris, thank you :)
“We’ve had a lot of hotels and resorts asking for the i – Hotels 360 flatscreen panel even though we’ve only installed a handful at a few national test sites,” adds Bart Wilson.
If this is a distraction you prefer, then pick up your
clubs and hit the Aloha State with all inclusive Hawaii vacations.
Beach Resort & Spa ($555), Moana Surfrider, A Westin Resort &
Spa ($595), and Trump International Hotel’ Waikiki Beach Walk.