You’ll never guess this is a vegan dish. With so many spices a soyrizo is tasty enough to compete with the real thing.
By Lauren Cosgrove
Soyrizo is a fantastic product. It was one of the first meatless meats that I tried and it hit the spot. Chorizo is naturally full of wonderful spicy flavors and substituting soy for pork is an easy translation to vegan sausage! I love savory breakfasts. I used to eat eggs and bacon like a champ before I became a flexitarian. This breakfast hits the spot when you are craving a spicy morning meal.
Another good option is to top this dish with a vegan egg. You will be saying “What? This is vegan?” Spicy, salty, crunchy, and full of Mexican flavors the Soyrizo pairs with paprika and thyme perfectly.
I have often dreamed of owning a vegan food truck. I think this recipe would be a staple on the future food truck menu. What do you think?
Paprika and Thyme Potatoes with SoyrizoLauren Cosgrove
- 4 cups baby new potatoes
- ½ large yellow onion
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme or 1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 ounces 1/2 of a package Soyrizo vegan chorizo
- 2 tablespoon chopped parsley optional garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees fahrenheit.
- Cut baby new potatoes in half or into ½ inch pieces. Slice onion into 1 inch strips.
- Place potatoes, onions, salt, pepper, paprika, thyme, and olive oil in a bowl. Toss to coat potatoes and onion with spices and oil.
- Turn out potato mixture on a baking sheet. Roast for 30-40 minutes or until potatoes are golden brown and fork tender.
- While potatoes are roasting, pan fry Soyrizo in a non stick skillet over high heat breaking into small pieces and until desired crispiness. I cooked mine for about 10 minutes.
- Once potatoes are complete, place on a plate, top with cooked Soyrizo and parsley.
Lauren is a flexitarian sailor navigating the kitchen and creator of the food blog "The Salty Tomato". A self-taught cook and bartender, her kitchen is almost completely vegan with an occasional animal product of the highest quality. She is passionate about food education and sharing new ways to cook with less animal products.