With a vegan gravy and a homemade vegan parmesan-like cheese made from cashews, these poutine fries are sure to satisfy.
When we first started exploring Dubai, I noticed a lot of fast food restaurants serve something called poutine. I never heard about it before, but it looked so delicious, I really wanted to make a vegan version of it. Since poutine is made with cheese, I wanted to make a recipe for vegan cheese first. After quite a few failed attempts, I must admit, I am not impressed by vegan cheese. With one exception (so far!) – Vegan Parmesan Cheese. And after discovering an amazing mushroom-free gravy (Matej hates mushrooms), I decided it was time to make some Vegan Poutine!
Can you imagine right now the savoury and sweet taste of Parmesan Fries dipped into the creamy, salty gravy? To me it sounds (and tastes) like haven. I am a huge fan of fries, so it’s hard for me to be impartial, but for me this is the ultimate comfort dish. The rich flavours blend do perfectly in your mouth, it’s hard to stop eating them! This recipe has become one of our favourites as it transforms the plain fries into something wonderful! And even if we don’t always make the gravy, we now almost every time sprinkle some Parmesan Cheese on potatoes.
Vegan Poutine Fries
- 2 tbsp miso paste
- 2 tbsp water
- 2 tbsp margarine
- 30 g 1/4 cup flour
- 750 ml 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp soya sauce
- 1 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1-2 tbsp cornstarch optional
- 700 g potatoes
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 tbsp vegan parmesan link to recipe is above
- 1 tsp salt
- Peel the potatoes and cut into thin sticks. Soak in water for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile heat the oven to 175°C and line a baking sheet with baking paper.
- Drain the fries and sprinkle with salt and half the vegan parmesan. Now add the olive oil, toss to coat well and transfer to baking sheet. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown, turning halfway through.
- While the potatoes are baking, make the gravy. First dissolve the miso paste in water. In a medium sized pot melt the vegan margarine. Stir in the flour, add miso, vegetable broth, soy sauce, nutritional yeast and black pepper. Bring to boil while stirring.
- If the gravy doesn't thicken enough, dissolve 1-2 tbsp cornstarch in same amount of water and stir into the gravy.
- When the potatoes are baked, sprinkle with more parmesan cheese and serve with gravy (poured over or on the side).
Two vegan sisters with a passion for food and photography.