An almost naked, and deliciously simple chicken appetizer.
By Jerri Green
That’s naked. Not necked. For those of you who aren’t southern, let me explain. Naked means bare, usually without your clothes. Necked means you are without your clothes and doing somethin’ you are supposed to be doin’. And while these chicken drummies aren’t necked, my carnivore husband claims they are dangerously good, even though they are nearly naked. This recipe is from a past issue of Bon Appetit.
- 2 tblsp of lemon juice - I just used ½ lemon.
- 2 tblsp of oregano - I used a bunch from my herb garden.
- 2 garlic cloves, pressed
- 1 tblsp of olive oil
- 1½ tsp of kosher salt
- 1 tsp of freshly grated lemon peel
- 8 chicken drumstick or one package of drummettes
- To make these marvelous chicken tidbits, simple place the drummies in a large plastic bag with the rest of the ingredients and toss them till they are all well coated.
- Then let them marinate for at least 30 minutes.
- Then place them on the grill (on medium-high heat) until golden brown on all sides.
- This may take about 30 minutes.
- Be sure to turn them frequently.
- Serve them hot off the grill.
Jerri Green is a vegetarian that lives with and loves a self-proclaimed carnivore. She makes meals work for everyone while juggling the mounting demands of motherhood. Nothing fancy but always fresh, she draws on her southern heritage to bring satisfying food to the table each and everyday.