There’s no meat and no bun in this “burger” but it’s a great way to satisfying a craving if you’re a vegetarian craving the meaty, cheesy treat.
By Jerri Green
- 2 tblsp olive oil
- ½ small red onion, sliced
- 1 clove of garlic, diced
- 1 large portabella mushroom cap
- kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 slices of swiss cheese
- a few sprigs of fresh thyme (optional)
- Place one tablespoon of the oil in a skillet and heat over a medium flame. Add in garlic and onion.
- Place the mushroom in the pan and drizzle with remaining oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Let onions caramelize and mushroom soften, about five minutes.
- Top the mushroom with cheese slices. Scoop onions onto of cheese and let it melt slightly.
- Remove from skillet and garnish with fresh thyme.
Jerri Green is a vegetarian that lives with and loves a self-proclaimed carnivore. She makes meals work for everyone while juggling the mounting demands of motherhood. Nothing fancy but always fresh, she draws on her southern heritage to bring satisfying food to the table each and everyday.