An impressive spring crepe cake is layered with lemon coconut cream and fresh sliced strawberries.
This cake is made out of paleo crepes layered with rich, sweet lemon coconut cream and fresh strawberries. It’s a gluten free dessert, that’s perfect for a spring brunch!
Layers of tender, delicate crepes are piled HIGH with creamy coconut, zesty lemon and BRIGHT, juicy strawberries.
You may have noticed with the Crepe Cake with Pistachios and the Crepe Cake with Coffee Chocolate Ganache, that I am sorta kinda obsessed with making crepe cakes. I was gonna say “I don’t know what it is about them” but I do know what it is. You just need to use your eyeballs and you will notice that fact that HOLY IMPRESSIVE LOOKING DESSERT!
- 1½ Cup Unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- ¼ Cup + 2 Tbsp Coconut flour (39g)
- ¼ Cup + 2 Tbsp Tapioca Flour (45g)
- 3 Tbsp Coconut sugar
- 3 Tbsp Coconut oil, melted
- 6 Eggs
- Generous pinch of sea salt
- 1½ Cups Coconut cream * (See notes)
- 3 Tbsp Honey
- Zest of 3 LARGE lemons ** (see notes)
- 1½ Tbsp Fresh lemon juice
- ½ Tbsp Vanilla extract
- 1 Lb Package Fresh strawberries, Hulled and very thinly sliced (about 3 cups after slicing)
- In a large blender, blend all ingredients for the crepes until smooth and well combined. Place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes, to let the coconut flour begin absorbing some of the liquid.
- Preheat a VERY NON-STICK *** (read notes) 10¼ inch pan on medium-low heat. A light rub of coconut oil is a good idea if your worried about the non-stickiness of your pan. ****
- Pour a scant ¼ cup (just under ¼ cup, or 3.5 Tbsp) into the pre-heated pan and swirl around until the pan is evenly coated.
- Cook until the outsides of the crepe darken and the inside feels just set, this takes 4-6 minutes depending on your pan. Mine were perfect about 4.5 minutes.
- Very gently pick up the crepe and gently flip over. Cook until the other side is just set, only another 20-40 seconds, you don't want to dry them out! Repeat until all the batter is used, storing the crepes in the fridge on a plate as you cook them. You want them nice and cold when you put the cream on! You should end up with 17 crepes.
- Place the coconut cream, honey, lemon zest, lemon juice and vanilla extract into a large bowl. Using an electric hand mixer, beat until smooth and well combined, scraping the sides down as necessary. Set aside ¼ cup of the cream for later use.
- Place one cool crepe down on a plate, or cake stand, and top with 1 heaping Tbsp of the coconut cream. Using an offset spatula (this will make your life so much easier!) spread it thinly over the entire surface of the crepe. It won't totally cover the crepe, and it does not need to look pretty! You won't see the layers.
- Lay 2 Tbsp of the thinly sliced strawberries flat on top of the crepe, spreading them out evenly. Repeat the same process until all the crepes are used.
- On the last layer, you should have some strawberries left over, as well as the reserved ¼ cup of coconut cream. Carefully spread the remaining cream evenly over the center of the top crepe, spreading almost to the edges. Assemble all the remaining strawberries in a pile in the center of the cake.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour to set the coconut cream.
- Slice and DEVOUR!