Savory ham-waffles are topped with chives and a sunny side egg to create a decadent and delicious, but healthy, new breakfast or brunch favorite.
There aren’t many things better than brunch, can we just agree on that? And within the universe of brunch – let’s also agree that one of top dishes are waffles? Great, now that we’ve gotten that out of the way, let’s try something new. While sweet waffles are awesome, there’s something really special about savory waffles – particularly for brunch.
The texture of these waffles is light in the center and crisp on the outside and the combination of chive and Dijon mustard gives them a slight kick (don’t worry, they are by no means spicy). The ham adds to the savory flavor, and the sunny side upp egg on top, well that’s just decadently delicious!
And if you are on a special diet, know that these waffles are Paleo, Grain Free, Gluten Free, Dairy Free and Specific Carbohydrate Legal.
Ham, Egg and Chives Waffles
- 1 Waffle Maker
- 6 organic eggs
- 1 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 cup almond or oat milk
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 cup ham, cubed
- 1/3 cup chopped chives (plus 2 tbsp for garnishing)
- Preheat the waffle iron
- In a bowl whisk together the eggs, almond (or oat) milk and mustard
- Add in the almond flour, paprika, baking soda, lime juice, salt and pepper and whisk until well combined
- Finely chop the chives and add into the batter along with the diced ham
- Pour the batter into the waffle iron until it covers the bottom portion, close and cook for approximately 2 minutes or until a fork easily lifts them out.
- Serve topped with a sunny side upp fried egg and a sprinkle of chives
Carmen discovered the Specific Carbohydrate Diet (a diet free from grains, gluten, refined sugar, processed food, lactose and soya) after being diagnosed with an autoimmune disease 2 years ago. She now lives symptom and medication free thanks to the diet. She created Every Last Bite to share healthy recipes and show people that no matter how restricting your diet, you can still enjoy delicious food.