Chicken is easily marinated in pesto and skewered before barbecuing with tomatoes that turn into sweet, smokey bites on the grill.
I made this dinner a few weeks ago and loved the simplicity of it. I changed the original recipe just a tad to make it 100% paleo. Since the chicken is just marinated in this “pesto” why waste delicious expensive cheese. Save that for when you’re going to actually consume the pesto. This pesto is ridiculously easy to whip together. Just let the chicken marinate for at least 30 minutes or even overnight. It creates so much flavor, especially when you use your own home grown basil (do you need any? I have a ton!!!). The addition of the cherry tomatoes is heavenly. I never knew how delicious barbecued tomatoes are. To sum it up, this meal is really really easy. I prepared the pesto the night before and marinated the chicken overnight. When I got home I made the skewers and prepared a salad. Took no time at all and I’m able to enjoy the whole night out in the backyard. Just how I like it.
- 1 cup basil
- 1 large clove garlic, peeled
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon Kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 pound chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- wooden skewers, previously soaked for at least 30 minutes.
- In a food processor; pulse the basil, garlic, salt and pepper. Stream in the olive oil until it comes together. Marinate the chicken pieces in the pesto for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat grill to high heat.
- Skewer marinated chicken and tomatoes alternating between the two until you use up all the ingredients.
- Grill skewers about 4 minutes on each side. Remove from grill and serve.