Savory or sweet, this soft Croatian cheese pie, or galette, is a delicious dessert or appetizer in a flaky crust.
By Zrinka Baker
Cheese Galette is an ancient way of preparing rustic cheese pie. This recipe is an award winning one and comes from Croatian region of Dalmatia.
The filling for the galette is made with ricotta cheese or cottage cheese, eggs and cream. It is enveloped by pastry resembling pie crust. I added some yogurt, oil and baking powder to make it softer and flakier.
Cheese Galette can be either savory or sweet. When making savory Cheese Galette, some ham and cheese can be added to the filling.
Traditionally, it was baked on open fire, under heavy ceramic or cast iron cover called “peka” which allowed it do develop especially tasty flavor. Nowadays it is baked (uncovered) in regular kitchen oven.
- 2 cups (350 g) all-purpose flour
- 1½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ¼ cup oil
- ¼ cup yogurt
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup (200g) whipping cream or half-and-half
- 1 lb (1/2 kg) cottage cheese or ricotta cheese
- ½ tsp salt
- 4 Tbsp sugar*
- 1 Tbsp semolina
- In a bowl, combine all-purpose flour with baking powder and salt. Add oil and yogurt and mix with a spoon (or hands) until you get soft dough. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Roll the dough on a floured surface. Place the dough in oiled and floured 11 inches (28 cm) round pan. The dough should be about 2 inches larger than a pan.
- In another bowl, wisk 2 whole eggs and 1 egg white (reserve the yolk) with a fork. Add cream, cheese, salt, sugar and semolina. Mix to combine all ingredients and pour into prepared crust.
- Fold the outer edges of the dough over the filling. Brush both the dough and the filling with leftover egg yolk.
- Bake in 375 F (175 C) preheated oven for about 40 minutes. Let cool a little bit before serving.
Kitchen Nostalgia is a website about delicious old fashioned recipes from our grandmothers’ kitchens that everyone can make easily at home. www.kitchennostalgia.com strives to make it easy for you to find inspiration for a great tasting meal.