Soup doesn’t have to be a long drawn out, multi-hour event. You can make this creamy red onion soup in about half an hour.
By Judith Klinger
- 2 large red onions, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 small carrot, peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 celery stock, roughly chopped
- 1 bullion cube (optional)
- 2 T heavy cream
- 1 t truffle oil
- salt, pepper, olive oil
- Place the vegetables in your soup pot with a small amount of olive oil.
- Lightly brown the vegetables. You want to see a little bit of caramelization on the onions and carrots.
- Add 3-4 cups of water and simmer gently until the vegetables are soft (about 20 minutes...less time if you chop the vegetables smaller).
- Puree the soup until it is super smooth.
- Return to the heat and add the heavy cream.
- Let the soup come to a light simmer.
- Add a bit of truffle oil right before serving.
Judith Klinger is a culinary events producer, former Director of Operations for the International Association of Culinary Professionals. Judith and her husband, Jeff Albucher are the creators of Aroma Cucina, an Italian lifestyle blog. She is the author of Cooking Simply The Italian Way.