A soft cake made with Greek yogurt and whole wheat flour for great flavor to pair with bananas. Top with a cream cheese frosting and you’re in dessert heaven.
By Danae Halliday
I decided to make a recipe for banana snack cake because bananas are something I always have on hand and you can get them year round. This cake is made with a combination of whole wheat pastry flour and oats for texture.
I chose to eliminate the oil in the cake and replace it with non-fat Greek yogurt because I wanted this to be a cake that I could “snack” on without a lot of guilt. I also kept the cake itself (not the frosting) free of refined sugars and sweetened it with the bananas and honey. The banana snack cake is moist, delicious, and tastes very similar to banana bread without the frosting. It’s cake though, so how could I not frost it? The cinnamon cream cheese frosting is the perfect topping. Just try not to eat it all before you get around to spreading it onto the cake!
- 1¼ cups whole wheat pastry flour
- ½ cup old fashioned oats
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- Pinch of nutmeg
- 2 large very ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 egg
- ½ cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Find the recipe in the link above.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray an 8x8 inch square baking pan with cooking spray, line the bottom with a piece of parchment paper, and then spray the parchment paper with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl whisk together the dry ingredients for the cake.
- In a small bowl whisk together the mashed bananas, egg, Greek yogurt, honey, and vanilla.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix together with a rubber spatula until just combined.
- Pour the cake batter into the prepared 8x8 pan and bake in the oven for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool the cake on a wire cooling rack for 10 minutes in the pan before removing it from the pan to cool completely.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer with the whisk attachment or with a handheld mixer, whisk together all of the frosting ingredients until they are smooth and fluffy.
- Spread the frosting on top of the cooled banana snack cake.
- Top with chopped toasted pecans if desired.