This beautiful red curry bowl is a comforting dish complete with rice than can be made in less than half of an hour. Now that’s a solid autumn recipe.
By The Woks of Life
This comforting chicken in red curry is as easy as cooking gets. After making the miraculously simple 15-minute Coconut Curry Noodle Soup (which you HAVE to try, recipe here) a few months ago, I realized what a magical ingredient canned curry paste is. It adds a ton of flavor with minimal effort––emphasis on minimal. This recipe has fewer than 10 ingredients, takes less than a half hour to make, and it’s a one pot meal worthy of any weeknight.
If you’re wondering where to find red curry paste, head to any Asian grocery store, and look for a little red can labeled…you guessed it––red curry paste. No confusing Chinese characters or misspelled Chinglish words here! We used a brand called “Maesri,” which is the one we usually buy.
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 slices ginger, minced
- 2 tablespoons Thai red curry paste
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 small bunch choy sum or baby bok choy
- A handful of cilantro, chopped
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium high heat in a skillet. Add the garlic and ginger and fry for 1 minute, until fragrant. Add the curry paste and fry for another minute.
- Turn up the heat to high and add the chicken. Cook until the chicken is browned, and pour in the coconut milk. Bring to a simmer and season with salt to taste. Simmer for 5 minutes and stir in the choy sum. Cook until the choy sum is wilted and stir in the cilantro. Serve over rice.
The Woks of Life is a blog written by a family of four living between the U.S. & China. When not packing or unpacking suitcases, they're sharing their travels and culinary exploits--from traditional Chinese to modern dishes for the everyday cook. For all the generation X's and Y's out there who love the Chinese food their parents made, but have no idea how to make it, this family's got your back!