This is really a basic granola recipe. Nothing too fancy. Nothing too “scary” for the kids. Just 3 main ingredients and some flavor.
By Deena Wachtel
- 5 cups rolled oats
- 1 package sliced almonds (about 8 oz.)
- 1 cup coconut flakes
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup honey
- ¼ cup canola oil
- 2 tablespoons vanilla
- Add cranberries after cooking, if desired...
- In a small bowl (or large liquid measuring cup) combine honey, oil and vanilla. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine oats, almonds, coconut, cinnamon and salt. Stir to combine.
- Pour honey mixture over oats and stir until well combined and the honey is evenly distributed.
- Pour onto 2 lined baking sheets.
- Bake at 250 degrees for 1 hour and 15 minutes... stirring the granola every 15 minutes or so to evenly toast the mixture.
- When finished, immediately transfer to a bowl to cool (the granola will stick to your baking sheet if left to cool on the baking sheet.)
Deena is a stay at home foodie, obsessed with food and intent on changing her finicky family into a foodie family. She lives by a set of FOODosophies and has pledged to get her kids into the kitchen to teach them how to cook and love good tasting food. It's not always pretty and there are nights when the kids go hungry. But, for her, it's all for the greater good. She blogs daily at stayathomeFOODIE.com.