Almond Joy Protein Overnight Oatmeal – only 5 minutes to prep and wake up to a delicious, healthy breakfast that’s packed with protein! (vegan + gluten-free)
If you’ve seen overnight oats all over the internet but thought it was weird and maybe even gross to eat cold oatmeal, give this recipe a try and I have no doubt you’ll be proved wrong. You’re bound to jump on the overnight oatmeal train and never want to get off. They’re SO good!
After a tough workout, eating cold oats couldn’t be more refreshing or satisfying. When you combine them with a little almond milk and chia seeds, they take on a delicious creamy texture that tastes incredible paired with almond joy flavoring.
And if one of your 2017 New Year’s resolutions is to lose weight, it’s time to skip the sugary cereal and start enjoying a comforting bowl of oatmeal in the morning.
A small study found that those who ate oatmeal daily for six weeks had a greater decrease in cholesterol levels and waist size than those who ate the same amount of carbs in noodles over the same time period. It’s proof that you can have your carbs and eat them, too!
To keep me satisfied right up until lunch, I like adding a bit of protein to my oats. With plenty of healthy fats, protein, and fiber, this Almond Joy Protein Overnight Oatmeal digests at a slower pace, keeping blood sugar levels steady, energy up, and hunger away.
My protein of choice is the clean, lean Nuzest. Where do I even start with the greatness of this protein powder?! First of all, Nuzest has the best taste and texture of any other proteins I’ve tried. Not only is the flavor wonderful in this oatmeal, but it also works so well in waffles and smoothies.
Yes, this breakfast is beyond delicious, but I especially adore the fact that it’s so quick and easy to throw together. I always make a few batches Sunday evening, to enjoy through the work week. It cuts down on all of that early morning stress having a yummy breakfast ready to eat from the fridge. Typically, I don’t even take time to eat at home and instead just grab-n-go.
This Almond Joy Protein Overnight Oatmeal is so good it’s like having dessert for breakfast! Besides the fact that it is ready in minutes and that it also has the perfect balance of protein, healthy fats, and whole grains, it’s just so darn tasty, which makes it the perfect breakfast for busy mornings!
With various combination possibilities, overnight oatmeal is a meal that never feels boring or blah. Liven up your oatmeal bowl with a myriad of favorite toppings to keep your breakfast fresh, filling, and satisfying to your taste buds, too.
- 1 cup old fashioned oats (use gluten-free as needed)
- 2 scoops (25 grams) Nuzest protein powder
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk (or nondairy milk of choice)
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce*
- ½ tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- Optional toppings: chopped almonds, shredded coconut, sugar-free chocolate sauce, stevia packets
- In a small bowl, mix all of the ingredients together (except for toppings).
- Divide mixture (1 cup each) between 2 bowls, mugs, or mason jars. Cover and refrigerate overnight (or for at least 2 hours) so the oats soften and absorb the liquid.
- Just before serving, add toppings and enjoy cold, or microwave for 30-60 seconds to enjoy warm!
- *yogurt would also work and for a vegan recipe, use nondairy yogurt
- **Nutritional information is calculated using smooth vanilla Nuzest protein powder. Does not include toppings.