This recipe will be in your to-do menu. It is definitely a satisfying bake and tastier treat than the store-bought ones.
By Jehanne Ali
For this particular bun, I advise that you mix bread flour with plain flour to even out the gluten and protein ratio in the dough, hence creating the soft-but-sturdy, perfect buns. I have not tried my version on hamburger buns, but I don’t see why not, apart from changing the shape and sprinkle with sesame seeds or poppy seeds, just as you like it.
- 4 cups unbleached bread flour
- ¾ cup plain flour
- ½ cup warm milk
- 1 packet (7g) dry yeast
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 large egg
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup warm water
- ¼ cup melted butter
- 1 egg, whisked with 1 tbsp water to form egg wash
- optional: sesame seeds or poppy seeds
- Proof the yeast by mixing it with sugar and warm water. Set aside for 10 minutes or until it bubbles up.
- Mix the bread flour, pplain flour and salt in a large bowl. Whisk the melted butter, egg and milk together. Mix in the yeast into the liquid.
- Pour the liquid ingredients into the flour and knead until an elastic dough is formed. Dough should not be sticky.
- Ferment the dough at room temperature (or as my tip above) until it doubles in size.
- Punch out the air and knead the dough again. Divide into 12 balls. (The dough can be frozen as dough balls at this point).
- Form an oblong shaped bun and leave the dough to rise for 15 minutes. Set the oven at 170C.
- Brush the top with egg wash and sprinkle with sesame seeds or poppy seeds. Transfer onto parchment paper or silpat and bake for 12-15 minutes until the top is crusty and golden.
- Let the baked buns cool in kitchen towel. Fill with your favourite fancy and condiments
Jehanne is an enthusiastic baker, food blogger, mother and wife all in one. She swaps her scalpel from her day job as a doctor to kitchen utensils in the evening and creates magical treatment of healthy treats for her family, which she shares in her blog, The Cooking Doctor. She is a firm advocate of healthy eating and always believes that honest and healthy food will steer you clear from the doctors.