This Chocolate Zucchini Coconut Oil Bread is made healthy with plenty of zucchini, whole wheat, and coconut oil instead of butter. It’s decadent, moist, and utterly satisfying for breakfast or dessert.
I’m pretty sure a big spiel isn’t needed to convince y’all to dive into that!
This Chocolate Zucchini Coconut Oil Bread is:
- Supremely moist and tender
- Dreamy for chocolate lovers
- Full of goodness for the healthy-ish eater
- Loaded with squash without tasting like squash
The main reason this bread is so moist and tender is due to the plentiful zucchini that’s shredded finely and not drained.
That’s right; no paper towel-squeezing or any other kind of draining needed. Hang onto all that liquid.
Imagine waking up to a decadent slice of this yummy bread. Chocolate and coffee. A totally delicious reason to get out of bed.
Let’s not neglect dessert.
This bread is scrumptious with a big scoop of vanilla ice cream on top????
Just sweet enough to satisfy the craving. Extra ice cream is so okay because you’re balancing it out with veggies.
Here’s to all the greens in your chocolate.
- 2 cups shredded fresh zucchini (about 2 small zucchini) softly packed, undrained
- ½ cup + 2 TB pure coconut oil, measured as liquid
- ¾ cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 TB pure honey
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp orange extract
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- ⅔ cup whole wheat flour
- ⅓ cup natural, unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ tsp table salt
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp instant coffee granules (decaf is fine)
- 1 cup mini semi-sweet chocolate chips (mini chips melt into the bread best, but you can use regular sized chocolate chips if you don't mind them not melting completely.)
- Preheat oven to 350F with rack on lower middle position. Lightly grease a 9x5 loaf pan, placed on top of a baking sheet (for ease of transport.) Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together the melted coconut oil with brown sugar and whisk to combine well. Add eggs and orange extract and whisk to combine.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together both kinds of flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder, baking soda, and instant coffee granules until well combined. Use a rubber spatula to gently fold flour mixture into the coconut oil mixture just until combined. Do not over-mix; it will remain a thick consistency. Gently stir in the shredded zucchini with all its liquid. Stir in chocolate chips. Again, stir just to combine and don't over-mix.
- Use rubber spatula to scrape batter into the greased loaf pan evenly. Bake 1 hour, or just until a toothpick inserted into the center come out with a few crumbs attached. Cool on wire rack completely before removing from pan.