A soft, moist cake with a delicate flavor. Ideal for dipping in milk, it is perfect also as a dessert after a light meal. In this recipe, pistachio is the ingredient that makes the difference.
Recipe from “A modern Italian table”, out now (New Holland Publishers Australia) available here. Photos by G. Giustolisi
- 100 g (3½ oz) pistachios
- 50 g (2 oz) toasted whole almonds
- 80 g (2 ¾ oz) dark brown sugar
- 3 carrots
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 egg
- 150 g (5 oz) brown rice flour, sifted
- 15 g (½ oz) organic baking powder
- 100 g (3½ oz) 80% dark chocolate
- 1 orange zest
- 2 tablespoons sliced almonds
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4). Lightly grease and line a 22 cm (81/2 inch) springform tin with baking paper.
- In a blender, process the pistachios and almonds with the sugar and set aside.
- Peel and grate the carrots and mix with a pinch of salt. Add the egg, flour and baking powder and mix quickly. Add to the pistachio and almond mixture.
- Pour the batter into the baking tin. Bake for 40 minutes, or until lightly golden.
- Meanwhile, melt the chocolate in a double boiler and add the orange zest.
- When the cake is still warm, pour the chocolate glaze over and sprinkle with the sliced almonds.