This chilled salad includes an array of delights, including Chanterelle Mushrooms, Lucques Olives, Purple Snow Peas and Kumquat.
By Alisha Randell
This pasta salad is colorful, bright and fresh with a mingling of citrus, floral and woodsy tones. A refreshing alternative to many of the heaver dishes we indulge ourselves with during fall and winter Seasons.
With the addition of kumquats we add a bit of sunshine and citrus. Typically these little guys are enjoyed raw and whole, having a sweet outer peel and tart flesh, they make great snacks. Here in California our Season spans October through January and my itchy organic shopping fingers, just could not resist :)
The Lucques Olives…my personal favorite, have a slightly sweet and nutty flavor. And hold up impressively well against the citrus and deep floral/woodsy pallet of our chanterelles.
The chanterelle mushrooms with their beautiful rich and complex flavors are a delight to behold. They are prized as a sought after culinary delight to many with a similar passion of the morel or even the coveted truffle. Although I am using fresh organic chanterelles here, they are another variety of mushroom that does well in their dried state.
- 12 ounces (350 g) rainbow angel hair pasta
- 2-4 (50-100g)ounces chanterelle mushrooms, sliced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ cup ( 225 g) Lucques olives, pitted and sliced
- 3-4 ( 75-100g) ounces purple snow peas
- 6-8 kumquats, sliced
- ¼th cup plus 1 tablespoon (59ml + 15ml) grapeseed oil
- ⅛th cup (29.5ml) fresh orange or lemon juice
- ⅛th cup (29.5ml) white balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon (5ml) orange zest
- or dried orange peel, finely ground)
- ⅛th (.312ml) teaspoon coriander, finely ground
- Freshly ground pepper and salt to taste
- Edible Flowers, optional
- Prepare pasta as directed and set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil in a sauté pan on medium/high heat.
- Add sliced mushrooms and allow slightly caramelize 2-3 minutes. Now
- add garlic until just fragrant, then add olives, snow peas and kumquats.
- Continue to sauté for an additional 2-3 minutes, remove from heat.
- Place remaining oil, zest, citrus juice and balsamic into pan. Toss
- in pasta until well coated, season as desired. Garnish with
- edible flowers as desired.
- Chill for 1-2 hours prior to serving or serve hot if desired.