Make-ahead oatmeal smoothies is everything you love about oatmeal in a jar but in liquid form, which makes them the perfect breakfast on the go.
By Sawsan Abu Farha
Making these oatmeal smoothies is a snap too, no steam, no heat, no cooking. Just 5 minutes the night before will ensure that you have a wonderful breakfast ready the next morning with no effort what so ever.
- ½ cup uncooked old fashioned rolled oats
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried chia seeds
- 1 cup milk (you can use non-dairy milk or juice)
- 1 cup greek yogurt
- 1 cup fruit (I used cherries and peaches but for other options see notes)
- 2 tablespoons honey (you can use your favorite sweetener like maple syrup, agave syrup, or sugar)
- ⅛ teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- Add oats and chia seeds to blender; blend on high until texture of flour.
- Add the milk, yogurt, fruit, sweetener and cinnamon if using.Blend on high until desired smoothness.
- Taste and adjust sweetness, if needed.
- Transfer to a jar and refrigerate overnight, the time is needed to allow the oatmeal to soften and the chia seeds to absorb water.
- The next morning check the consistency. If it is too thick, add a little milk or juice to the jar and give it a good shake
- For the fruit you can use any fruit you like , fresh, frozen (unthawed preferably to give your smoothie a thicker consistency), or canned (drained)
- To intensify the fruit flavor, consider adding a tablespoon or two of jam or preserves to replace the sweetner. This way you will get the sweetness and the fruit flavor.
- You can also play around with spices. I added some cinnamon but you can play around with different spice/fruit combinations