Quick and easy, these Cheesy Mustard and Mushroom Toasts are made with sautéed mushrooms and Old Style Mustard, fresh thyme and melted Swiss cheese. Hearty, savory and vegetarian.
This mushroom toast is hearty, savory, full of umami, and can be served as an appetizer, snack, or even a full meal.
Mushroom toast is a very simple and easy to throw together meal, perfect for a hearty or lunch or light dinner.
A key ingredient to this simple mushroom toast is old style mustard. The grainy texture and the intense flavor compliments the earthiness of the mushrooms perfectly by adding some tang and acidity, and adds a whole new dimension to the flavor of simple mushrooms on toast.
Mushrooms on toast is a simple dish from Britain. It is traditionally kept very simple, just sauteeing up some mushrooms and eating them atop toast. It’s eaten as a filling snack or a light meal rather than an entree.
Chop your mushrooms and garlic and heat up a frying pan. Melt the butter and sweat the mushrooms. Add the garlic and saute together until the mushrooms are very brown and starting to crisp.
Turn on the broiler and build your mushroom toast. Spread the mustard on the bread, top with a bit of cheese, top with mustard, then top with more cheese. Broil until the cheese is melted and starting to brown. Sprinkle with fresh thyme, salt, and pepper.
HOW TO SERVE MUSHROOMS ON TOAST AS AN APPETIZER
Just replace the bread in this recipe with baguette slices. You should be able to make about 8 mushroom crostinis just using smaller slices of bread. All of the ingredients will stay the same.
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 4 cups sliced baby bella or cremini mushrooms
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 slices thick rustic french bread
- 2 Tbsp old style mustard
- 1 cup shredded swiss cheese
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- salt and pepper
- Melt the butter in a sauce pan over medium high heat. Add the mushrooms and sweat, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and saute, stirring often, about 15 minutes until mushrooms are browned and all liquid has evaporated.
- Preheat the broiler. Spread the mustard evenly on one side of each piece of bread. Top each slice with a sprinkle of cheese. Evenly top with the mushrooms and then top each with another generous sprinkle of cheese. Broil until the cheese is melted and starting to brown, about 2 minutes.*
- To serve, sprinkle with fresh thyme and season with salt and pepper.