PARTNER POST — TrySwedish Thursdays is a culinary collaboration between TrySwedish, West Sweden, and Gothenburg. Discover the edible delights of the land.
Traditionally of French origin, the classic potato dish served with steak receives a hint of Swedish cuisine by using the unique cheese Västerbottensost. This is comfort food at its finest.
Cheese, meat, and potatoes. What more could one want? While this may be more of a staple French dish rather than Swedish, we love the inventive use of West Sweden’s Västerbottensost cheese. Check out the other TrySwedish Thursdays post to learn more Swedish dishes and ways to use the cheese.
Not sure what Västerbottensost is? Learn about the unique cheese from our article here.
- 10 firm potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 400 ml (13.5 fluid ounces) cream
- 1 scallion, chopped
- 1 shallot, peeled and finely chopped
- salt and pepper
- 350 ml (11.8 ounces by volume) grated Västerbottensost
- 600g (21 ounces or 1.3 pounds) dry aged entrecôte, whole piece
- salt and pepper
- 300g (10.5 ounces) small porcini mushrooms, or larger sliced
- olive oil
- squeezed juice of 1 lemon
- 300 ml (10.5 fluid ounces) pork gravy or boiled chicken broth
- 2 tbsp fig marmalade
- 1 tbsp fig vinegar
- 5 seedless green olives, chopped
- 4 fresh figs, cut into wedges
- 1 clove of garlic, peeled and crushed
- a few sprigs of thyme
- Preheat the oven to 175°C. Place the potatoes in a greased oven proof dish. Mix the remaining ingredients to the gratin and pour over the potatoes. Bake for about 40 minutes.
- Allow the meat to reach room temperature. Grill the meat on all sides with salt and pepper. Fry the entrecôte in the oven at 175°C until the internal temperature is 58-60°C. Let the meat rest in aluminum foil.
- Fry the mushrooms with a little olive oil until golden brown. Season with salt and pepper. Mix the ingredients for the fig and olive gravy in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Squeeze lemon juice over the meat and carve it into slices, serve with the gratin and gravy.
Lindsey Olsson Shamshoian
A.V. OLSSON TRADING CO., INC.
VICE PRESIDENT, BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT
T: +1 203-969-2090 | M: +1 203-253-3738
The Honest Cooking editorial team handpicks inspiring culinary stories to share with you that we think are beautiful. As an international online culinary magazine with the ambition to truly change the face of online food media we hope to create an inspiring place for serious culinary debate, salivating recipes, interesting food news and international food-fun.