Soft, flavorful cinnamon cake is filled with crisp apples. One sweet bite and it will truly feel like fall.
By Kristi Kaiser
A cinnamon apple cake is the perfect dessert to celebrate fall. It is loaded with crisp apples and the perfect amount of cinnamon and sugar for a sweet treat.
There is something calming about peeling, slicing and coring the apples while watching the leaves drop listlessly from the leafy trees outside.
And one sink of my teeth into the cinnamon and sugar, apple-filled, moist cake, confirmed my suspicion… apple cake really is the perfect dessert to celebrate the coming of fall.
What you’ll love about this cake is, that it is really moist, but not overly sweet. The sweetness is perfectly flavored by the natural sweet of the apples, a bit of sugar and the ever present cinnamon that every good apple cake should have.
The soft texture of the cake, to the snap and crunch of the apples, to the sweet, cinnamon and sugar flavor – all of it screams fall. And how can you not love those beautiful, golden, fall colors?
- 6 to 8 apples
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 5 to 7 tablespoons sugar
- 2 and ¾ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup canola oil
- 2 cups white sugar
- ¼ cup orange juice
- 4 teaspoons vanilla
- 4 eggs
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a tubed pan (like an Angel food cake pan). Peel, core and chop apples into chunks. Toss with cinnamon and sugar and set aside.
- Stir flour, baking powder and salt together. In a separate bowl, mix oil, white sugar, orange juice, vanilla and eggs together.
- Combine dry ingredients with wet, and thoroughly mix.
- Pour ½ of the batter into the prepared pan. Spread ½ of the apples on top of batter. Pour remaining batter over the top of apples, then top with the remaining apples.
- Bake in the pre-heated oven for 1 and ½ hours or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Cool completely before loosening with a knife around the edges and removing from pan onto a serving platter.
Hi, I'm Kristi. The cook, author and photographer at Inspiration Kitchen. I am so passionate about food and I want to share that love! It is my goal to entertain.inspire.encourage home cooks everywhere that anyone can cook!