PARTNER POST – Get inspired with creatively crafted Castello Blue Cheese as we celebrate a Summer of Blue with #BluesdayTuesday.
Homemade blue cheese veggie burgers are topped with caramelized onions and a spicy tomato jam for a backyard BBQ star.
By Mansi Desai
This evening, the star of our summer BBQ was a blue cheese veggie burger with caramelized onions. Usually, people stay away from blue cheese for grilled burgers as they think its too crumbly to sit still in a bun. However, thanks to Castello, it’s now very easy for any cook to create an epicurean burger worthy of a gourmet chef with the launch of Burger Blue – perfectly sized, supremely meltable slices of Castello Burger Blue Cheese. Not only does it make the grilling experience simpler and cleaner, it also brings out the flavor of the veggie patty that I made and was a great complement to my spicy tomato sauce and the sweet caramelized onions!
The veggie patties are quite easy to make. Just boil all of your favorite veggies, mix them with some white flour and bread crumbs, and shallow fry them on medium heat. These can be made a day in advance so you don’t need to fret on the day you are grilling. The blue cheese slices are the perfect size, even if you have medium-sized buns. I used caramelized onions for my topping, along with some tomatoes and lettuce. For your spread, you can use anything that you like, but a spicy tomato ketchup or some chipotle mayo would be great additions.
- 2.5 cups mashed potatoes
- 1.5 cups frozen peas, corn and carrots, thawed
- ¼ tsp red chili powder
- ½ tsp coriander powder
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp chaat masala
- 4 tbsp rice flour or corn flour/corn starch
- oil for frying the potato patties
- black salt or rock salt as required
- Peel the potatoes and boil them along with the other veggies in a pressure cooker or steamer till they become soft and are completely cooked.
- Remove excess water and mash them when they are warm.
- Add all the spice powders and salt and mix well.
- Add the rice flour or corn flour and again mix well.
- Shape into round patties and pan fry the patties till they are crisp and golden from both sides.
- To make the burgers, layer the patty with cheese on the grill, then put in between burger buns and add your favorite toppings, especially a touch of hot sauce with a tomato jam.
A part-time recipe developer and food blogger, Mansi loves to experiment with vegetarian food, taking each recipe and giving it a fusion gourmet mark, a glimpse of which you can see on her blog called Fun and Food Cafe. As a mom of a toddler, she also looks for ways to keep her food healthy and flavorful, so even kids can enjoy it.