These cozy oats are loaded with vanilla, chia, nuts, spices and peanut butter, but it’s the caramelized bananas that will make this bowl of oatmeal a new favorite.
I’m going to shoot it straight today because this is the most incredible oatmeal I’ve ever had, and I want to share it. Here is what we’re dealing with:
- Rolled oats and chia seeds: So much great fiber and a boost of omegas to help you start your day off right.
- Vanilla extract and maple syrup: Is there a better combination than vanilla and maple?!
- Peanut butter: For that amazingly nutty PB flavor, plus some protein to sustain you for a few hours.
- Milk: For that creaminess (P.S. my fave is vanilla soy or almond).
- Walnuts and almonds: For crunch, nuttiness and a bit more nutrition.
- Caramelized bananas: Bananas with a crispy, sweet exterior with just a hint of buttery goodness.
The bananas are EVERYTHING.
It’s perfectly sweet, nutty, crunchy, creamy and the bananas are just incredible. It could almost be dessert but has minimal added sugar (not like the oatmeal we had as kids). So if you like something on the sweeter side for breakfast, whip up a wholesome batch of peanut butter maple vanilla oatmeal with buttery caramelized bananas and crunchy almonds and walnuts.
You’ll barely realize your oatmeal is a great source of fiber, protein AND omega 3s because it tastes SO good.
- 1 ½ cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- ½ cup chia seeds
- 3 ½-4 cups water
- ½ Tbsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- ½ tsp. coarse salt
- ½ cup natural peanut butter
- ½ cup milk of choice + more for serving
- 3 Tbsp. pure maple syrup + more for serving
- ½ cup chopped walnuts and/or sliced almonds
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1 tsp. brown sugar
- 3 yellow bananas, peeled and sliced
- Pour oats, chia seeds and water into a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer for about 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until oats are soft. Remove from heat and stir in cinnamon, vanilla extract, salt, peanut butter, milk and maple syrup until combined.
- In a medium skillet, melt butter and brown sugar at medium-high heat. Add sliced bananas and cook 1-2 minutes per side, until browned, flipping once.
- Scoop oatmeal into bowls and top with milk and maple syrup, as desired, and walnuts/almonds and caramelized bananas.