This recipe is dessert for breakfast. Served with yogurt, whole wheat shortcake biscuits and fresh strawberries, it’s a delightful morning treat.
I’m not usually into sweet things for breakfast, which may surprise you since most of the breakfast recipes I’ve shared on this blog are of the pancake/oatmeal/smoothie persuasion. But yeah, I’m usually and egg and toast (or egg and tortilla chip) kinda gal.
But these are literally the perfect balance of breakfast and dessert food. The buttery, whole grain biscuits are sweetened just the right amount. Then it’s topped with fresh, juicy strawberries and a dollop of creamy vanilla Icelandic yogurt. And to finish, a drizzle of pure maple syrup.
Enjoy it by itself, or with a side of scrambled eggs to make it more substantial. And as a bonus, if you’re in need of something delicious and homemade for dessert, you can make this shortcake with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream!
Breakfast-Approved Strawberry ShortcakeRachael Hartley
- 1/2 cup plus 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 2/3 cup almond meal
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 tablespoons very cold butter cut into small pieces
- 3/4 cup buttermilk or kefir
- Vanila Icelandic-yogurt skyr
- Fresh strawberries quartered
- Pure maple syrup
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flours, almond meal, baking powder, sugar, salt, baking soda. Using fingers, press in butter until it's fully incorporated and forms pea sized bits when you press it together. Stir in buttermilk until well combined.
- Spoon 6-8 biscuits on a floured baking stone or parchment-lined baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes until golden. Remove from oven, set aside to cool.
- When ready to eat, cut biscuits in half and fill with a scoop of yogurt and strawberries. Drizzle with maple syrup and serve.
Hi there! I'm Rachael Hartley, a dietitian, food blogger, whole food lover and avocado enthusiast. My mission is to help you rediscover the joy of eating. I believe living a healthy, fulfilled life should be fun, simple and most of all, delicious!