Winter yams with an raw, spicy green chili dipping sauce with onions and curry.
By Nisa Homey
Kachil or Greater Yam is in season now, Kachil puzhungiyathu is boiled yam and is a popular traditional and healthy food which can be cooked without any oil. The green chili dipping suace is so easy to prepare and there is no cooking involved. Just pop some shallots or button onions, green chilies, and curry leaves and either crush them with a mortar and pestle or grind coarsely and pour in fresh coconut oil along with some salt. Mix well and serve.
- Kachil/Greater Yam: ½ kg
- Salt: 1 tsp or as needed.
- Green Chilies: 10 to 12
- Shallots:: A handful or 1 small onion chopped roughly.
- Curry leaves: 1 sprig.
- Salt to taste
- Fresh coconut oil.: 2 to 3 tbsp.
- Scrape the skin and slice, wash thoroughly.
- Put it in the cooker, add water and salt. Close the cooker and place it over the heat. After a boil simmer for 3 to 4 min and when the steam subsides, open the pot and strain the water.
- Put everything except the coconut oil into the food processor bowl and grind coarsely. Or use a mortar and pestle.
- Remove it into a bowl and mix in the fresh coconut oil.