These bite-sized pieces would go well with beer, and are super cute to serve when friends come over.
By Shuchi Mittal
Bread Pakoras (fritters) are a common breakfast snack in India. It is traditionally a sandwich made with spicy potatoes, dipped in a gram flour batter and deep fried. I, obviously, had to make some changes.
In ode of St Patricks Day I decided to go green. No literally. Everything from my batter to the fillings were varying shades of green- and the end result still tasted good. Best part- there was a bit of kick in it, and no deep frying! The bite sized pieces would go well with beer, and cute to serve when friends come over.
Make sure you have enough though, or the late comers may go ‘green’ with envy.
- 1 cup broccoli florets, boiled & mashed
- 1 tablespoon cream cheese
- 1 small potato, boiled and mashed
- 1 cup spinach, boiled made into a puree
- 1 teaspoon coriander powder
- ½ teaspoon cumin powder
- ½ teaspoon chat masala
- 1 green chili, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon dry fenugreek leaves
- 2 teaspoon fresh mint chutney
- Salt & pepper
- 3 sliced of bread
- ½ cup gram flour or besan
- 4 tablespoons dark beer (like Guinness)
- ½ teaspoon dry mango powder
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Salt & pepper
- Mix the broccoli with cream cheese and some salt and pepper and keep aside.
- Mix the potato with ½ the spinach puree, and the remaining ingredients for the filling, except the green chutney. Mix well and keep aside.
- Mix the besan with the remaining spinach puree, salt , pepper and dry mango powder. Add the beer and some water (if needed) to make batter that can coat the bread i.e. not like bread dough but not too watery.
- Butter all the slices of bread.
- On one buttered slice put the broccoli mixture. Top with the other slice, buttered face up. Add some potato mixture on this and top with some mint chutney. Close the sandwich with the last slice, buttered face down- something like a layered club sandwich.
- Dip the sandwich in the flour batter mixture and pan fry till the sides are brown and crisp.
- Cut into pieces and serve immediately.