A cauliflower twist on a classic comfort dish, try this personal Shepherd’s Pie recipe from Roberta Pipito.
I am far from being Irish, but I have respect for all foods. I wanted to give this traditional dish a little twist. I went with using Cauliflower instead of the mashed potatoes. I also used some turkey bacon and beer for the meat mix. I hope you enjoy it as much as my little family did. Sláinte to all my Irish friends out there.
Cauliflower Shepherd’s Pie
A cauliflower twist on a classic comfort dish, try this personal Shepherd’s Pie recipe from Roberta Pipito.<
- Author: Roberta Pipito
- Prep Time: 20 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 50 minutes
- Yield: 4 1x
- 1.25lbs of Ground Meat
- A head of Cauliflower, Chopped
- 2 Small Onions, Chopped
- 3 Carrots, shredded or chopped
- 12 oz Bag of Frozen Sweet Peas
- 6 Strips of Bacon, chopped
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- 1 12 oz Porter Beer
- 1 12 oz Stout Beer
- 2 Tablespoons of Unsalted Butter
- 2 Tablespoons of Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1/2 Cup of Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- 1 teaspoon of Fresh Thyme, Chopped
- 1 teaspoon of Fresh Rosemary, Chopped
- 3 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1/2 Cup of Heavy Cream
- 1 Tablespoon of All Purpose Flour
- Boil Cauliflower in salted water until tender, about 10 minutes or so. Drain cauliflower and pour them into a food processor or blender until smooth or chunky depending on how you like it. Place into a bowl and add the cream, garlic, rosemary salt, pepper and cheese mix everything together.
- While Cauliflower boils, preheat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add oil to hot pan and chopped bacon. Cook until its nice and crispy about 8 minutes. when done place them on top of a paper towel on plate to drain access fat. Keep and bacon drippings in the skillet. Now add chopped onions season with salt and pepper. (Tip: Caramelizing faster add 1/2 teaspoon of sugar). Onions should take about 10 minutes or so. Add meat to caramelized onions and break the meat up and cook for another 5 to 8 minutes. Add carrots, sweet peas and thyme to the meat. Cook veggies with meat 5 minutes, stirring frequently then add beer. Add 1 tablespoon of flour sprinkle it on and stir.
- Now you can either serve it or you can place everything into a casserole dish and place it in the broiler on high until you get a nice golden brown on top of the Cauliflower.
Roberta Pipito is a chef, food blogger and wine and beer aficionado. Her work continues to expand in the foodie world, and can be seen on www.homemadedelish.com.