Amazing Baked Jerk Chicken. Marinated overnight then baked until tender, juicy and crispy on the outside.
It’s a lot easier to make Jerk Chicken at home than you think. The trick to making Jerk Chicken at home is to marinade it overnight then broil it in the oven for a crispy caramelized skin.
The flavor comes from the marinade which is the perfect combination of sweet and spicy. Sweet from the molasses and spicy from the habanero.
This recipe is a great make ahead meal. The night before throw all of the marinade ingredients in a food processor pulse them up and through it in a ziplock bag along with the chicken. When it’s time for dinner take the chicken out of the marinade and bake!
The chicken gets it’s spice from the habanero pepper. I added in two and deseed them. You can always add in one or omit if you don’t like the heat. If the sauce is too spicy for you add a little extra lime juice to balance out the heat.
I love to serve the chicken with beans and rice and a wedge of lime!
- 3 pounds chicken thighs and drumsticks (skin on and bone in)
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 habanero peppers, stemmed and seeded
- ½ tablespoon ginger (half a knob)
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1½ teaspoons allspice
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- Add all of the marinade ingredients to a food processor and pulse until combined. Reserve ¼ cup of the marinade.
- Pour into a large ziplock bag along with the chicken. Marinade for at least and hour or preferably overnight.
- When you are ready to cook preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Take the chicken out of the marinade and place the chicken in a cast iron skillet or oven safe pan.
- Cook for 1 hour or until chicken is fully cooked.
- Take out of the oven and brush on the reserved marinade.
- Turn oven to broil and cook for 3-4 minutes or until the skin is browned and crispy. (Make sure to keep a close eye on it so it does not burn)
- Serve immediately.